|Event Name||Strengthening Research and Innovation Systems for Health and Development in Africa|
|Dates||5-8 November 2012|
|Location||Dar es Salaam, Tanzania|
|Contact Details||Dr. Kathy Douglas (email@example.com)|
|Organization||COHRED, NIMRI, COSTECH|
|Short Description||Two of COHRED’s programmes focus on strengthening national research and innovation governance systems for health in Africa:
• Research for Health Africa (R4HA) programme conducted in partnership with The NEPAD Agency; working initially with country partners from Mozambique, Senegal and Tanzania.
• West Africa programme, which provides technical support to WAHO to address system needs of the countries in the region; working initially with country partners from Guinea Bissau, Liberia, Mali and Sierra Leone.
Other countries have expressed interest in joining both programmes.Objectives
Explore, through the Tanzania experience, the applicability and practical features of research and innovation governance system strengthening strategies.
Gain knowledge and understanding on existing practical approaches for research and innovation system strengthening used by Tanzania and participating countries to:
• Set priorities in research for health and align with funding
• Coordinate national research and innovation information systems for health
• Systematise research ethics review processes at national and institutional levels
• Strengthen managerial capacity
• Engage civil society research organisations
• Communicate research outcomes more effectively to decision-makers
• Plan the implementation of a national monitoring and evaluation framework
• Strengthen regional partnerships