When the poor need food, who needs research?
Topic: How Essential National Health Research can lead to better health, greater equity
Description: This report summarises the key objectives, issues and recommendations resulting from the COHRED supported workshop on research capacity strengthening. The work groups focused on the following issues during the workshop:
* country-driven (demand driven) research capacity strengthening
* competencies required for effective participation of all stakeholders in health research
* competencies required for addressing the research needs of the various partners as well as packaging and marketing of information on best practices after the research is done
* competencies required for the health research system to improve equity in health services
* capacity strengthening with regard to resource identification and mobilisation, and skills required to harness these resources for health research.